Whitman County
WWW Whitman County


(509) 397-4622


400 N. Main Street

Colfax, 99111

Please see a

department’s individual

page for department

specific contact




Licensing Information | Online Vehicle/Vessel Registration Renewals | Subagents


I Just Moved To Washington From Another State…



What Are The Criteria For Establishing Residency?


For the purposes of vehicle license registration, a resident is a person who manifests intent to live or be located in this state on more than a temporary or transient basis. Evidence of residency includes but is not limited to:


  1. Becoming a registered voter in this state; or

  2. Receiving benefits under one of the Washington public assistance programs; or

  3. Declaring that he or she is a resident for the purpose of obtaining a state license or tuition fees at resident rates.

Top of Page

How Many Days Do I Have To Transfer My Vehicle?


Once you have established residency, you have 30 days to transfer your vehicle registration.

Top of Page

How Do I Go About Transferring My Vehicle?


Because every situation is different, we suggest you call our office at 509-397-6278.  However, if you have clear title to your vehicle and no changes are being made to the names of the registered owner(s), you may proceed as follows:


  1. Bring along your title, your last valid registration, and positive ID (Driver’s License or picture ID)

  2. Bring along proof of residency from your former State (water, power or other bills) and/or proof of sales tax paid on purchase of vehicle.  

  3. Obtain a vehicle VIN inspection from the Washington State Patrol.

  4. Obtain a scale weight certificate if your vehicle is a truck or pickup.

Top of Page

What Is A VIN Inspection And Where Do I Get One?


A VIN inspection is a verification of the Vehicle Identification Number, by the Washington State Patrol. Bring your Vehicle, Title, and Registration. Inspection fee is $15.00 to $25.00 and is payable at the time of first registration through the Department of Licensing.  Inspections are held in Whitman County as follows:


Colfax WSP Office

300 N Mill St.

Colfax, WA 99111

(509) 397-3600

Wednesdays: 8:30 am to 12:30 pm


Pullman Pufferbelly Depot

330 N. Grand Ave.

Pullman, WA 99163

(509) 332-5589

Mondays: 9:30 am to 2:30 pm

Appointments are required.

Top of Page

I Just Own a Pickup Truck, Why Do I Need A Scale Weight And Where Do I Get One?


All trucks in Washington, no matter how large or small, carry gross weight. Gross weight or tonnage is a combination of the weight of the truck plus it’s potential load. Tonnage is sold in 2000 lb increments beginning at 4000 lbs. For example, if your truck weighs 4600 lbs empty, and you want to carry ' ton of firewood, you’d purchase 6000 lbs tonnage. This would leave you 400 lbs for yourself, your buddy and your gear.   Licensing fees for all trucks are based on this gross weight combination.  A truck coming into Washington from another State needs an empty scale weight reflected on the new title. Scale weight tickets are available at any certified scale, found at lumberyards, seed mills, or grain elevators. These are private businesses and may charge a fee for this service.

Top of Page

What Will This Cost?


The basic fee for licensing a passenger vehicle in Washington State is $33.00. The cost of licensing a pickup truck vary with its’ scale weight, but a truck licensed for 6000 lbs gross weight would cost $48.00.  Title fee is $11.75, inspection fee is usually $15.00 and new plates are $1.00. This would bring the total to $60.75 for passenger vehicles and $75.75 for an average pickup.  If you decide to take advantage of one of our fine subagent offices, then you would have to add an additional $7.50. To find out the location of our County Subagents link here.

Top of Page

Copyright (c) Whitman County 2018 Official Whitman County Colfax, WA Website
By using this website you agree to the following disclaimer:  Disclaimer - Email Webmaster